Responsible Travel is a Partnership
Responsible Travel is the responsibility of both travellers and tourism operators. There are some wonderful resources available to enable you to find out more information about how you can be a Responsible Visitor to Siem Reap and beyond.
While there are scams and things as a visitor that you need to be aware of, it’s also important to recognise that there are some incredible organisations doing some amazing work. Don’t be discouraged, find out about ways that you can help, things to avoid while here and how to be a responsible visitor:
Top Responsible Travel Tips
1. Remember you are a visitor, learn about the local people and their culture and be respectful
2. Please don’t give money to beggars especially children – If you wish to make a donation do so through a reputable organisation
3. Don’t visit an orphanage – Find out more about why visiting an orphanage is not a good idea
4. Be aware of common scams, buying milk powder for babies, books for schools, etc very rarely help the people you are intending to
5. Don’t hand out lollies or money, it only leads to poor dental hygiene or jealousy within the village
6. Think about the practices that you support – Be aware of attending dance performances late at night where children perform.
There is lots of information available on how you can look after and help protect local people, their culture and the environment – Do some research before you come and find out what role you can play.